On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 15:08:04 aberba via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 20 February 2018 at 12:10:35 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>
> wrote:
> > [...]
>
> Hmm. I'm glad its available in dub. Not helpful to those not
> using dub though. Beginners too.

Well, ideally, std.json would be replaced with something better, but it does
work, and there's always going to be stuff outside of the standard library.
Pretty much no matter what you're doing, at some point, you're either going
to have to use a third party library for something that you need or write it
yourself (usually, some combination of both). And there are plenty of
standard libraries that don't have any kind of JSON support.

However, as for avoiding dub, some folks do, but really, the D ecosystem as
a whole is going in the direction of using dub such that dub is _the_ way
that folks make libraries available. So, anyone refusing to use dub is going
to be hamstringing themselves in terms of having access to third party
libraries, and even if one thing that they need is in the standard library,
something else isn't going to be. It _is_ possible to use such libraries
without dub; it's just more of a pain, and whether it's worth the effort
depends on what you're doing. Hopefully, dub is improved so that those who
have issues with it will be able to use it, but as it stands, anyone who
wants to use 3rd party libraries in D without jumping through a bunch of
hoops is going to have to use to dub with all of its pros and cons.

And from the standpoint of a library developer, with dub and code.dlang.org,
they can just make their libraries available for others to use without
jumping through any of the hoops necessary to get it into Phobos. So, unless
they really want something in Phobos, it's just easier to make it available
on code.dlang.org and not bother with trying to get it into Phobos.

- Jonathan M Davis