On Sunday, 2 September 2018 at 04:59:49 UTC, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:
A. People not caring enough about their own craft to actually TRY to learn how to do it right.

Well, that is an issue. That many students enroll into programming courses, not because they take pride in writing good programs, but because they think that working with computers would somehow be an attractive career path.

Still, my impression is that students that write good programs also seem to be good at theory.

B. HR people who know nothing about the domain they're hiring for.

Well, I think that goes beyond HR people. Also lead programmers in small businesses that either don't have an education or didn't do too well, will feel that someone that does know what they are doing is a threat to their position. Another issue is that management does not want to hire people who they think will get bored with their "boring" software projects... So they rather hire someone less apt that will not quit the job after 6 months...

So there are a lot of dysfunctional aspects at the very foundation of software development processes in many real world businesses.

I wouldn't expect anything great to come out of this... I also suspect that many managers don't truly understand that one good programmer can replace several bad ones...

C. Overall societal reliance on schooling systems that:

    - Know little about teaching and learning,

    - Even less about software development,

Not sure what you mean by this. In many universities you can sign up for the courses you are interested in. It is really up to the student to figure out what their profile should be.

Anyway, since there are many methodologies, you will have to train your own team in your specific setup. With a well rounded education a good student should have the knowledge that will let them participate in discussions about how to structure the work.

So there is really no way for any university to teach you exactly what the process should be like.

This is no different from other fields. Take a sawmill; there are many ways to structure the manufacturing process in a sawmill. Hopefully people with an education is able to grok the process and participate in discussions about how to improve it, but the specifics is dependent on the concrete sawmill production line.