On Saturday, 15 September 2018 at 13:37:29 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
On Saturday, 15 September 2018 at 12:59:25 UTC, Josphe Brigmo wrote:
The libraries are already copying the user's string and adding the 0 termination prior to calling the windows api, so it seems to me to be a reasonable place to make other modifications if they are needed to accomplish the intended operation.

That only works for absolute paths.

And that is all I'm using...

Yet it is somehow my fault for not reading the source of phobos to make sure it is using unicode api? Which it is and it's still failing!

Right. The problem is on the OS side.

again, this is why I generally end up regretting using D.

Can you list some programming languages that achieve this task in a way you approve of?

Plenty, pick just about any one. C#, Haskell, javascript, lua, python, perl, C++(yes, c++, we are not talking about language features but usability). The simple fact is that C++ can be used to do anything almost 100% correct while D can fail. D is only a better language, not a better compiler(except it's speed).

You know, there is so many problems with D but you do not care to see them.

Take the way the library is designed. strip? trim is the standard. Then you get things like exists. Instead of fileExists or dirExists. Not all that bad though, but what about slurp and others that are just odd and for people that are not professional D programmers requires one to look up the name of what they are trying to do.

I don't know how many times I have typed in a name of a function that is "standard" only to find out that is not what D used but some odd ball name... or worse, it differs by a character or two.

You can pretend all you want about how great D is, but D is not great, it is just great at some things. That goes for all languages, but at least some languages let you enjoy the experience.

With D, it seems the hard core users seem not to care about the experience or think it's great because they don't know how much better it can be.

This is the typical mindset with D. There are all these "minor" problems that people(the D community pretends are all that big a deal but when you couple all these problems together it results in a very unpleasant programming experience(out of all the languages I've programmed in D is about the worse in this regard).

Please drop this tone, it will make you no allies.

I'm not here to make allies. Truth is not subjective and it doesn't depend on how many friends you have that believe in the same BS.