I've spent most of my ham career on or near 80 meters.  The question
depends on what part of the sunspot cycle you're in.

If sunspots are at max, 40 meters is generally solid during the daytime
hours for those distances.  At nighttime, 40 meters gets "long" and you
will need to shift to 80/75 meters for regional communications.

When sunspots are at minimum (like now), 40 meters will too long for
regional comms except at mid-day.  80 meters is pretty noisy during
the day -- 60 meters works nicely but is USB only.  After dark, 80
meters gets too long for regional comms, but 160 works nicely.

For NVIS, a low dipole or inverted vee works fine - no need for a fancy
antenna.  You just want something that radiates UP. (Verticals radiate
towards the horizon - nice for DX, but terrible for NVIS).

There's a Yahoo group on NVIS that you might be interested in... also,
there are websites where you can track the "critical frequency" - the
highest frequency where a signal going straight up to the ionosphere
will be reflected back.  For NVIS, you generally want to be as close
to the critical frequency as you can without being above it.  Check
out http://solar.spacew.com/www/fof2.html