Danny,

Very good points all.  I had not thought about this in a situation
like Katrina.  Can you imagine the ARC, Salvation Army, each local
EOC, and the state EOC all having different encryption keys?  If
hundreds of hams show up to a disaster like this, who is going to
administer all the different keys and insure only the proper personnel
get them?  Is everyone going to use the same key?  How quickly will
some hacker "social engineer" the one and only key?

Besides the "self-policing" arguments, the ramificiations of
administering encryption need to be discussed also.  Otherwise,
encryption won't be a viable solution to offer clients and customers
in our amateur radio emergency business.

Also, keep in mind that amateur allocations are under world-wide
treaty.  The FCC could reduce the allocations to just those where
amateur radio is the primary user but they won't disappear entirely
(think region 1 or 3 bands).  On the other hand, widespread encryption
could certainly give other countries a lever to remove amateur radio
from entirely from the ITU allocations.

Jim
WA0LYK