Attributing PSK31's dominance to the inertial nature of its users is both
incorrect and counterproductive. Its demonstrably incorrect because those
very same users adopted PSK31 quite rapidly; its counterproductive because
it leads to the erroneous conclusion that we should stop trying to develop a
better alternative.

Why has PSK31 been so successful? Because it combines several important
attributes:

1. it requires only a soundcard and a simple soundcard-to-radio interface

2. its bandwidth is narrow enough to make panoramic reception and
multi-signal decoding attractive and useful in a typical transceiver's 3 kHz
passband

3. AFC makes it easy to tune and stay tuned

4. its fast enough (the failure of PSK63 to gain traction is instructive)

5. many different implementations are available, allowing users to choose
the user interface and ecosystem they like best

6. decoded information is available in text form, facilitating station
automation

In seeking to displace PSK31 with a better alternative, a good place to
start is to consider PSK31's weaknesses:

A. no error detection/correction

B. simplex

C. can't convey files (messages, pictures, documents, etc.)

Addressing one or more of these weaknesses without compromising on the 6
important attributes would likely produce a winner, IMHO.

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ