I meant to bring up Q15X25 since this was going to be "the" solution for
HF packet a number of years ago but no one really knew much about it and
the only comments we ever heard was that it just did not work well.

And yet when you look at the modulation method and tones, it just seems
like it would be a very good mode, even though some might criticize its
width since it is always going to be operating at 2000 Hz bandwidth. Or
can it vary the number of tones and BW?

The raw speed is 2500 bps and so that seems very acceptable to me. The
ARRL web site description says it is a KISS/AX.25 packet modem designed
for AX.25 and TCP/IP. Since it uses 15 QPSK tones it has FEC and each
tone is a reasonable 83.33 baud rate spaced at 125 Hz. The design is
from non other than Pawel Jalocha who created a number of other modes
including Olivia.

Does anyone really have the definitive answer one what is or is not the
truth about Q15X25?

The 2FSK300 mode currently used has good speed for its bandwidth, if,
and it is a big if, it has a frequency that has minimal Doppler and ISI
and better than zero dB SNR. We know how fast PSK250 can work with
NBEMS, again, if you have a perfect path, HI.