Rick W escribió:

>  Say, John, you also use Pactor 2 and 3 which are always 100 baud PSK
>  modes.

Pactor and Pactor 2 can work at 200 baud. Buit it requires little
multipath and good SNR.

>  Do you find that these modes work through the ionospheric
>  conditions when sound card modes, even those with similar modes do
>  not?

ARQ is a great adventage. If not acknowledged, repeat it. That is what
helps to hold the link under marginal conditions.

>  I find PSK to be rather poor at times here at 44 degrees N latitude,
>  unless you are close to the MUF with a stable ionosphere. I have
>  never seen any published information or other comparisons of P2 and
>  P3 in terms of how much multipath or Doppler can be tolerated, but I
>  suspect that it is not all that much, and there are going to be times
>  that some sound card modes work (albeit slowly) and P2 and P3 simply
>  will not.

I have never compared them, but again, ARQ is a great adventage. If some
mode could compete, is at least Olivia 16/500.
I had a scheduled QSO on 40 with HB9, and even when the waterfall was
very faint, print was perfect.

Lenghthening the symbols (lowering the speed) helps with multipath. With
Doppler, I believe that differential PSK is what makes it tick
on HF, otherwise, Doppler.can be very destructive on the link integrity.

73,

Jose, CO2JA

VI Conferencia Internacional de Energía Renovable, Ahorro de Energía y
Educación Energética
9 - 12 de Junio 2009, Palacio de las Convenciones
...Por una cultura energética sustentable
www.ciercuba.com

Announce your digital presence via our Interactive Sked Pages at
http://www.obriensweb.com/sked

Recommended digital mode software:  Winwarbler, FLDIGI, DM780, or Multipsk
Logging Software:  DXKeeper or Ham Radio Deluxe.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: