John wrote:
> Hi HI Dave ......
>
> Unfortunately, you may indeed be right.
>
> As my posts on this topic speak for themselves, I never once stated either
> way if it was or was not legal. My question all along has been, did the law
> against the use of spread spectrum even apply in this case at all, based on
> what the program actually did, not what was claimed. As I read the FCC rules
> here in this country, the rule does NOT make a mode illegal because the
> author "claimed" it to be spread spectrum. It makes the "transmission" of
> spread spectrum signals on the HF amateur bands below 225-250 mhz.
>
> This program never did meet the test for making it actually spread spectrum
> other than the authors claim of it in his own documentation. Indeed, it is
> likely just a language barrier that is not all that uncommon. A simply
> translation issue should not really be labeled as egregious.
>
> As you imply, we will see how the nay say'ers fair in this. there are indeed
> those that can't bear to not be the ones in control of the crowd. Me, I
> really don't care one way or the other, but do prefer that real facts be
> discussed rather than conjured up arguments based on inapplicable rules.
>
> 73 sir

Please, don't call me 'sir', in modern day UK, I don't call anyone
'Sir'...  That may now be a cultural difference that I have to confront
when I visit the Dayton Hamconvention later this year, but few people
call other people 'Sir' over here now, unless it's a deference in a shop
where a shop assistant is trying to pretend that the customer is King.

As in "Yes, Sir, what would Sir like? The pin-stripes might suit Sir best"

You are probably correct in saying that this whole debate was based upon
a misunderstanding, but unfortunately  that misunderstanding has now
grown.  Which is why I still suggest that, until it is properly
resolved, it is probably off topic and needs its own forum.

Regards
Dave (G0DJA)