----- Original message -----
> GTK did not become popular just because it's something people are
> comfortable working in; it became particularly popular after having a
> complete environment (GNOME), where people met GTK every day, became

AFAICR, Gimp Tool Kit rose because of GIMP

> popular. QT rose to prominence because of KDE. Cocoa became popular

IMHO, KDE does not rise as yet. But then GTK s(t)uck, QT gain more corporate
weight as Nokia switched from GTK, but not much weight from KDE as KDE isnt in
any part of their Meego system, is it? Thats why they start plasma mobile
thingy. KDE isnt even running on Win but many consumer Winapps use it. It is
quite obvious GPL KDE has nothing to do with that. QT made it coz it is better
than alternative on Windows.

> because of OS X, not the other way around. UIKit is popular not just
> because it's simple to work with, but because iPhone is popular. Who
> would use Win32 APIs if Windows weren't popular?

Since they all have more money for good marketing and since they didnt actually
have competitors. And all we can do about marketing is making good consumer
products. What else we can do beside coding?