On 1 Dec 2016, at 07:43, Steven R. Baker <ste...@stevenrbaker.com> wrote:

> I would like to add an additional concern. I know that LLVM and clang are the
> new hotness, but they're de facto owned by Apple now. It won't be long before
> there are new and hot features that are in Apple's own version of LLVM, and
> it'll be very desirable to depend on these new and hot features.

This is simply not true.  Apple’s contributions, as a percentage of the total,
have been decreasing for the last five years.  It’s been several years since
they were responsible for over 50% of total development and they’re not even
the largest single contributor anymore (Google is).  Apple’s release process
for LLVM is to fork at a point from svn head, run a bunch of additional tests,
and backport any fixes from a specific branch.  This code then appears on
opensource.apple.com - occasionally it includes a few hacky fixes for issues on
Darwin that they haven’t upstreamed because upstream won’t accept it until they
tidy it up and do it properly.

David