The form-factor question is a real one. I don't quite understand the Ipad size, yet they are wildly successful. I have used Ipads a fair amount and carried them around, and they are fun and even useful, but they are not a trivial thing to haul. What is the use case? I guess they are displacing notebook computers, and they are smaller and lighter than notebooks. They are compelling, people probably plan their schedules to include Ipad time.

My wife is carrying her new Ipad with her a lot, but is complaining about too much stuff and so quit bringing her Kindle on the bus in the morning. I predict that the Kindle will win. The Nexus 7 (340 grams) is heavier than her Kindle (247 grams), but that still seems way different from her Ipad 2 (600 grams).

A 7-inch tablet is still not in my pocket, but it does fit in the smaller bag that I pretty much carry everywhere. I can have it with me without planning to use it. A 10-inch tablet is for the couch, maybe car passengers, and when one has specific plans to use it. It is not opportunistic the way a phone can be.

Yes, maybe 7-inches is too compromised, but for those with good eyesight the Nexus 7 has a greater pixel-count than the original Ipad...

Interesting piece by Jean-Louis Gassée recently about the prospect of Apple selling an Ipad-mini, he thinks it would be very successful (I am more distracted what Steve Jobs' Ghost does to try to prevent it). I think the Nexus 7 will sell very well. We'll see.

I do admit I still entirely don't know what the Nexus 7 is good for, but I am working on that. Yesterday I was early for something and while waiting did some webpage reading on it, and boy was it better than reading off even a large phone.

Fingerprint-related observation: At Google IO the male/female ratio was predictably high (I think Google encouraged area female employees to attend just to beat back the ratio a bit) and the men's rooms were crowded between sessions. Moscone West has odd bathrooms with few sinks and only two paper towel dispensers, use of which block two of the precious sinks. If one thinks washing hands is optional, this would have been the time to take the easier path, yet these geeks were all bumping into each other washing their hands. I bet other conventions at Moscone West are less fastidious.

-kb, the Kent who still uses a Palm Pilot.