A smaller screen would compromise that enjoyment. A 7" tablet is all compromise. Apple doesn't do compromise on the user-facing stuff.

While I'm persuaded by many of your views, I'm not so sure on that.

There are reports like Bloomberg's of a forthcoming smaller Apple tablet:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-03/here-comes-nexus-7-nightmare-the-ipad-mini.html

Moving to its own maps from Google's seems like a compromise by Apple toward lower quality.

And Siri is losing badly to Google Now in most head to head comparisons. People such as Wozniak seem to think that Apple compromised quality by over-accentuating commercial aspects of Siri. http://mashable.com/2012/06/15/wozniak-on-siri/

I wonder which will arrive first, a 10" Nexus or a 7-8" iPad. Both seem likely.

   - S