On 05/08/2013 10:50 AM, Richard Pieri wrote:
Matthew Gillen wrote:
Just because they're not in business now doesn't mean the idea of open
access is doomed to failure.

To the contrary, I maintain that since none of the big CLECs had any
long-term success with it demonstrates that the model -- running your
business on your direct competitor's infrastructure -- is doomed to fail.

Likewise the successful CLECs like speakeasy were in dense population
centers, which is exactly where Vz wanted to target first with their
FiOS rollout.  I would argue that the gross inferiority of DSL service
compared to FiOS had more to do with their extinction than a doomed
business model.

Verizon started deploying FiOS in 2005. The DSL CLEC industry collapsed
in 2001 as an adjunct to the dot-com bust. My conclusion is that FiOS
had nothing to do with the CLEC industry collapse.

  - you may not refuse service to someone who is willing and able to pay
in that geographic area

This is what I wrote. Common carriers provide service to everyone
equally. FiOS does not do this. FiOS can't do this. It's a cable TV service.

I'm not understanding what you're getting hung up on. Is it the "everyone" part or the "equally" part? Are you saying that because there are different tiers of service it doesn't qualify?