There are many times in which HTML doesn't translate correctly to a
recipient.  The lowest common denominator, then, is plain text.  That
being the case I habitually set my email reader to send in plain text.

Also, for one who uses gpg (or it's equivalent), even occasionally, the
encrypting and/or signing program automatically converts to plain text.

It isn't arrogance.  It's the need to meet the needs of the greatest
number of people.