I've been working on this for a while, trying to work out the best way of
implementing this as a plugin whilst trying to keep as DRY as possible, just
spotted this post, hope I'm not too late :)

I finally figured out the easiest way of defining an ease method would be to
bastardise the speed function rather than rewriting the animate function.
Also, using a bit of String, rewrite and eval prevented having to redo the
whole fx function. I used a switch for the easing selection function.

As a result this works great as a plugin. The standard effects start using
the penner equations without having to change a line of code. And specifying
custom ones uses all the standard effects.

Check it out -  http://gsgd.co.uk/sandbox/jquery.easing.php
http://gsgd.co.uk/sandbox/jquery.easing.php

I'd love to hear if anyone can tell me how to not use a switch for the
easing function, not sure it's the best way, I'd like to be able to have a
basic set of equations and then offer an extended set in a seperate file,
but couldn't work out how to go about this. Any pointers anyone?

Cheers,
George.