Hi,

> What about the approach taken in those "rounded corner" scripts ?
> I know that some versions use images and it seems that others have an
> algo approach.

IIRC it uses the same approach as Walter Zorns library. That is a great idea,
but it needs to generate many DOM-Nodes. In case you draw similar to an
airbrush-effect with many single pixles, multiple times at the same point
with varying alpha-values, etc., you get into trouble. That is fine with a
real canvas-implementations but with Walter Zorns library it will quickly eat
up all your memory (I have tried).

> The first way could be a quick'n easy hack, by using a large image that
> can be resized smaller.

The scaling algorithms used in Browsers are of - erm - varying quality.
Actually they are usually optimized for speed (i.e. often they simply leave
out lines and rows) instead of quality. You get very poor looking results
with that.

> I don't know much about the pure algo way by handling 1x1 pixel divs,
> but if IE's memory can handle it, then it might be powerful.

I don't know much about the various ActiveX-controlls, but I think I remember
that there were some that could take data-URLs as Parameters. Modifying that
Parameter should also work with IE.

There is also another aproach: IE interprets javascript-URLs as sources for
Images. It exspects the JS-code to return monochrome XBM Images as a string.
Using filters you can give that image a specific color, make the white pixles
transparent and add an alpha-value for the "black" (now colored) pixles. If
you overlay multiple images, you should be able to create "True-color"-Images
that way.

The Point is that you still only have a fixed set of images instead of very
many divs. Setting the same pixle with varying alpha-values multiple times
doesn't add more and more divs, but only changes the images without eating up
the memory. That behaves much more like Canvas in the memory-aspect.

Christof