John Resig wrote:

> Right now, the jQuery compressed build is teetering around 18-19KB, I
> really want to try and cut this down. Any thoughts on particular
> features that should be extracted into a plugin?

I know the macros don't account for _that_ much core code but they do
complicate the documentation significantly. We have nice short names like
.attr and .css yet those represent the most-macroed properties. Then we end
up with (unjustifiable IMO) situations where valuable names like .height()
are taken by the .css("height") macro to save five--count 'em--five
characters. The same goes for the event macros, I think they account for
more than half the names in the API documentation at this point and they end
up creating situations like .unload() that are pretty hard to explain.

I would like to see jQuery take more of a Perl path than a PHP one, using a
small number of consistent and powerful concepts plus the ability to extend
things with plugins. Perl has one simple consistent regexp operator; PHP has
two completely different regexp engines, each served by a dozen or more
differently named functions.