I definitely agree. I'm going to propose this course of action:

1) Strip out all "helper" functions into an external plugin.
2) Change the official (in SVN) plugins to no longer use the helpers.
3) Change all docs to no longer use the helpers.

This will clear up documentation and reduce the filesize (win-win!)
I'm going to persue this avenue long before having mutlitple builds
(which only tends to complicate the matter).

--John