> It is probably better to think of it as serving valid XML, rather than
> valid XHTML as I doubt it validates the markup. Also, I assume this
> plugin could be used to update an XML document (that is rendered
> client side using XSL)?

Sam is right, the server response must be well-formed XML.  Taconite
works by processing the XML document of the XMLHttpRequest object
(responseXML).  So any "content" in the response must play by the
rules of XML and that means no self-closing tags.  So if you need a
you must use <br />.  But there are no tag-soup issues here.  Taconite
does all the DOM modifications using native DOM methods.

Mike