Hi,

For a number of years, software carpentry would teach 4 things at every
workshop: version control, shell, relational databases, and a programming
language intro. There were some options, like git vs mercurial or r vs
matlab vs python, but if you went to a workshop you'd get these 4 skills.

This was quite convenient because I knew if I sent my new students to the
latest nearby workshop they'd come back with those basic building blocks in
place and could start working with my group on projects.

Now, I see announcements of new workshops nearby and get excited to let my
new students know about them, but once I look closer the lessons are all
over the place. In fact, I've seen few recently that hit the SWC 4 skills
and I really really want my students to get those under their belt as a
foundation. I've resorted to sending them to videos of those lessons
instead.

The diversity in lessons is great in one aspect, but we never really know
what we are going to get. The consistency of SWC lessons had many
advantages and I didn't care much whether the students learned git or
mercurial or any of the difference languages, only that they got those 4
skills.

Anyone else have this thought? And if so, are there any ideas for
improvement?

Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791