+1 for what Juan said.

I think most of the cognitive load of notebooks can be addressed by giving
people a crash course in Jupyter, and by narrating what you do, just like
SWC suggests that instructors narrate what they do at the command line or
in a REPL, e.g. "so I'm going to type print parentheses hello close
parentheses in this cell and then execute it by hitting control enter", etc.

I've seen Jupyter-heavy tutorials for example at SciPy that give these
sorts of quickie intros to notebooks.
I can't find an example but here's something similar I've done:
https://github.com/NickleDave/EWIN-coding-bootcamp/blob/master/Python/bootcamp%20day%201%20%2B%20Python%20preliminaries.ipynb
Seems like a good opportunity to explain that the most common use cases are
presenting results/methods, teaching, and scratch coding, **not** writing
production code / large code bases.
Maybe that will help prevent people getting the wrong impression (and then
giving a talk about it) 😀 😀 😀

David Nicholson, Ph.D.
nickledave.github.io
https://github.com/NickleDave
Prinz lab <http://www.biology.emory.edu/research/Prinz/>, Emory University,
Atlanta, GA, USA

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 8:54 AM, Maxime Boissonneault <
maxime.boissonnea...@calculquebec.ca> wrote:

> Hi Carol,
> I don't think this is where the subthread about Conda is heading. Jupyter
> notbooks is orthogonal to Anaconda. You can definitely have Jupyter without
> Conda. From a teaching perspective, both Conda and Jupyter notebooks do a
> fine job. But just as it would be beneficial to warn users about notebook
> caveats (hidden states and such), it would also be good to do the same for
> conda caveats (performance).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Maxime
>

> On 2018-08-28 6:29 PM, Carol Willing wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> There's positive discussion that has been started by Joel's talk. While I
>> liked his talk and there are some good points re: improving support for
>> software engineering best practices in Jupyter and JupyterLab notebooks,
>> I'm a bit concerned about the direction that this conversation is going.
>>
>> While all are entitled to their personal opinions and the Carpentries
>> will use notebooks when and if needed, I believe that the Carpentries would
>> be doing its students a disservice by warning people not to use the
>> notebooks or conda.
>>
>> The notebooks are a popular and effective tool for scientists and data
>> scientists to have in their toolbox. Project Jupyter won the ACM Software
>> System Award recently, and the ACM stated "These tools, which include
>> IPython, the Jupyter Notebook and JupyterHub, have become a de facto
>> standard for data analysis in research, education, journalism and
>> industry." https://awards.acm.org/software-system
>>
>> While it's great for folks to have different personal perspectives, I
>> want to make sure that the Carpentries and its lessons do not recommend
>> that the Jupyter Notebooks, IPython, and JupyterHub should be avoided by
>> scientists and data scientists.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Carol Willing
>>

>> On 28 Aug 2018, at 11:38, Maxime Boissonneault <
>>> maxime.boissonnea...@calculquebec.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> These kinds of things are rather hard to track in time, because
>>> everything is a moving target (conda and other package managers constantly
>>> get updated, but also version of packages changes), but here is a bit more
>>> details :
>>>
>>> - The 10x performance difference was with a user code, which I
>>> unfortunately can't share (nor do I still have a copy of it). It was about
>>> numpy, which may or may not have changed since MKL can now be shipped with
>>> Anaconda.
>>>
>>> - FFTW, 2x performance gain : These slides compare between
>>> Conda-provided (and those provided by other package managers) FFTW, and one
>>> which was built on an avx2 cluster, the performance gain is 2x (see slides
>>> 28 and 29 :
>>> https://archive.fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/installing_
>>> software_for_scientists/attachments/slides/2437/
>>> export/events/attachments/installing_software_for_
>>> scientists/slides/2437/20180204_installing_software_for_scientists.pdf
>>>

>>> - Tensorflow, 7x gain for CPU version, slide 28 of this talk :
>>> https://archive.fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/how_to_make_
>>> package_managers_cry/attachments/slides/2297/export/events/
>>> attachments/how_to_make_package_managers_cry/slides/