Carol,

I don't think anyone is saying, "Tell people not to use notebooks."
The questions are about whether they improve the learning experience
for beginners.  There is also the question of whether use of the GUI
somehow defeats the purpose of the shell lesson by contradicting what
is often said there; namely, the command line is a powerful tool, you
should use it.

One respondent said they review ways to run python -- python, ipython,
jupyter -- then go on to use whatever in their workshop.  That goes
some way toward giving the participants choices.  It may not
counteract the message that is still implicit or implicit in the shell
lesson.

Perhaps the shell lesson should be modified so that the shell is
treated as a data management tool, and notebooks and Rstudio are
treated as development environments?  Then the dissonance between
advocating the shell in one lesson and abandoning it in another would
be lessened?

Perhaps all it would take would be a couple of examples of running a
notebook from the command line and telling it to start from scratch
and run all cells.  If a notebook can be run in the same way from a
prompt that a .py file can be, then maybe showing that capability
solves a whole bunch of problems.

The out-of-phase evaluation of things that is possible in notebooks
can also lead to irreproducible results, which is not, I think, in
keeping with the goals of the Carpentries.

Some people will want to keep notebooks, and others will want to
forego them; there should be a place for both approaches, and the one
that best fits the goal of the particular offering and the expected
audience should be chosen.  I think it would not be a service to
future learners if only one way were available for all circumstances.

Perhaps it would help to consider a full two-day workshop as a bundle,
and pick the lesson components that leads to the most coherent and
clear presentation of the most important points to the targeted
audience?  That would lesson the dissonance between command-line for
shell/git and GUI for R/Python, maybe?  Should there be an option to
do GUI-only workshops, no shell and a GUI for Git?  Similarly, a
command-line only option.  I think that might be worth considering.