+1

Peter Hoyt

On 10/15/2018 10:12 AM, Erin Becker wrote:
I love code-along!

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 5:19 AM Jeremy Metz via discuss
<discuss@lists.carpentries.org<mailto:discuss@lists.carpentries.org>> wrote:
+1 for code-along - short but descriptive, and also informal and fun sounding!

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 at 13:04, Adriana De Palma
<a.de-pa...@nhm.ac.uk<mailto:a.de-pa...@nhm.ac.uk>> wrote:
Code-along. As in sing-along. As in fun ☺

From: Lex Nederbragt
[mailto:lex.nederbr...@ibv.uio.no<mailto:lex.nederbr...@ibv.uio.no>]
Sent: 15 October 2018 12:49
To: Discuss list Carpentries
<discuss@lists.carpentries.org<mailto:discuss@lists.carpentries.org>>
Subject: [discuss] What's in a name: Live-Coding, or?

Hi,

I have for a while been thinking about the term ‘live-coding’ as we use it as
our teaching approach in workshops. What we mean is a form of teaching
described in the instructor training
material<https://carpentries.github.io/instructor-training/15-live/index.html>
as “work[ing] through the lesson material, typing in the code or instructions,
with the workshop participants following along”. But there are other meanings
of the term, for example, some people will ‘live code’ a software demo during a
conference, without the participants doing any coding themselves. Apparently it
even can be done as a performing arts form (creating sounds, images, etc)- see
the wikipedia entry on ‘Live coding'.

I am looking for a term that better describes what we do. Examples I have
considered:

- live follow-along coding; however, follow-along does not imply learners being
active, they could just as well sit back, relax and follow along closely (note
that the description from the instructor training material uses this wording
also)
- live interactive coding; however, there is not much interaction unless for
any truly interactive exercises
- live together-coding or live collaborative coding; however, we are not really
coding together or collaboratively, learners merely mirror the instructor
(except for when they do exercises); still, these are currently my favourites

Any other suggestions?

Best,

            Lex

--