A couple-few careers ago I was an aircraft mechanic at Boeing, first
in the mockup shop, then on the flight test modification crew. I
installed, removed, tweaked, measured, and cussed at a lot of very
early stage designs. Sometimes those designs came from engineers who
"got it", like the two guys who designed the very complex over-wing
emergency exit doors on the 757. I must have built three or four
iterative miniature versions in the mockup shop with those guys
looking over my shoulder and talking with me a couple times a shift
until they were happy with the prototype. Years later this stands out
in my mind as an example of a great prototyping collaboration.

And then there were prototype modules I needed to install, say beneath
an airliner's cockpit in a very confined space, where it was plain
that the design engineer had never before held a screwdriver and
hadn't the faintest clue in the world how basic mechanical things
worked.

Same goes with webcraft and software. Maybe you don't need to be an
expert Java developer or graphic designer or AJAX guru to design for
various platforms, but it will sure become instantly apparent to the
implementers whether you know squat about how things work (or not).

Software prototyping is one way to bridge the gap between design and
development skills. Even if you don't become a serious development
threat, through hands-on craft work you gain a basic understanding of
some of the concerns and mindset that developers and visual designers
will apply to your wonderful wireframes and interaction designs. Your
informed designs are more likely to be built as-designed rather than
recrafted on the developer's forge or tossed as unbuildable (and take
it from me this can sure puncture and deflate your poor old ego).

Michael Micheletti