On 20 Nov 2007, at 01:26, Bryan Minihan wrote:

> For performance reasons, we almost always settled on OK on the
> left, Cancel
> on the right in web forms.  It sped up completion of the form (in
> tests) by
> being the first button you wind up on when you tab out of the last
> field
> (saves a tab), and was more obviously the button that would respond
> when you
> pressed "enter" on the keyboard within the form (this last is
> subjective,
> but someone mentioned it in a test, and it kind of makes sense).
[snip]

Interesting :-) We almost always settle on OK on the right since (in
tests) users made fewer errors with it this way round. This was with
a couple of different web apps. We didn't look at speed of completion
though.

I have to admit I wasn't expecting the result we got - because I
assumed most folk would be more used to the Windows conventions.

(as an aside the tab problem could be resolved by either using CSS/
HTML to render the buttons differently from their order in the
source, or by using tabindex to alter the tabbing order)

Cheers,

Adrian