Luke W's article (linked to earlier in this thread) was good.

Given that placing the buttons at the bottom right of the form is the least
usable position, I wonder if the rule "OK on the left if buttons are left
align, OK on the right if right aligned" illuminates anything. Are things
placed rightmost more "primary" then things in a right-aligned group that
are not the rightmost item?
I'm not advocating this, just curious if anyone has analyzed button
placement for this difference.

Faith

[snip]
--