> I am in the process of designing a support forum for a software product.
> The
> goal is to make it as easy as possible to ask a question. Ideally I'd like
> to do away with the need to login all together, but it also needs to be
> Spam
> resistant.

First, I'm amazed you know what CAPTCHA stands for. :)

Second, this is a problem that really bugs me too, so I'm interested in
ideas. How about something like a "2+2 = ?" followed by a dropdown?
Dropdowns have low usability, so maybe entering the answer into an input
field would be better.

I've seen this type of solution used before, and while it requires more work
for the user, it's often less work than trying to interpret the letters in a
CAPTCHA system.

-r-