At the moment Vista has a very low adoption rate and a very high "Oh,
my God -- let's go back to Windows!" rate...So, I think that at this
point it makes a lot of sense to stick with the Windows
standards...generally speaking.

However, if you're building an internal app for a group that will be
required to use Vista then, I'd use the Vista standards....and...

If there's anything in the Vista standard that you think is done
better than it's done in the Windows standards, you might want to
take this chance to incorporate it.

...or you can design for another operating system all together: *nix,
OSX, CP/M ;-)

kt

At 10:50 AM -0800 12/11/07, Jerome Ryckborst wrote:
>Thanks, Jennifer, and hello, all; I've just joined your list.
>
>I'm wondering if the ribbon is a solution for a large (overly
>complex) set of features where the speed of user performance is not
>a primary design driver?
>
>Also, I don't yet have Vista installed on my computer, so I confess
>I'm not really sure what my Dev team (which is 16 hours ahead in
>Australia; I'm in Canada) means when they say "Vista menus" -- is
>this just a menu bar?
>
>My original question:
>
>       One of my design teams is asking me: "Should we follow
>       the Office standard of the ribbon, the Vista standard of
>       the drop-down menu (menu bar), or a hybrid of the two?
>
>       Wow, just what I always wanted: a vague question about
>       standards that has no right answer and huge consequences.
>
>-=- Jerome

Katie Albers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]