For me, perceived legibility is important because I serve users with
visual impairments that range from peripheral vision loss to total
blindness. Some of them use screen magnifiers, which can be a PITA to
navigate with. Any slight legibility advantage for them translates to
less magnification and an experience that's more like yours and
mine.

Perceived attractiveness matters less to me, but I think the
impressions of the people studied might be important for some
designers, marketing people and the like.

The fonts included in the study are still among the most-used online
fonts, even five years later, so that seems relevant too.

Less than half of the study has any merit from my point of view, but
those bits may be worth knowing. Would a larger sampling be more
valid? Sure. Based on some experience with low-vision users, I don't
think the "perceived legibility" results would change much unless we
added another font designed specifically for people with impaired
vision. As far as I know, that font doesn't yet exist.