Sebi said: "I guess a way to rephrase the question would be: 'When
will they start providing services instead of products?' "

I think that's a shrewd way of looking at it, and it begs another
question: When will we demand that?

It's like all service. We have to support the services we want and
refuse to settle for less. That means we (the end users) are the only
ones who can assure sustainability; and if we don't take
responsibility for that, "they" won't either.

A case in point (and a perennial favorite target) is Microsoft
Windows. I retired a Windows 2000 computer last year after Microsoft
announced the last and most insidious irreparable security flaw in an
OS that I generally liked pretty well. I'd already maxed out the RAM
potential on the motherboard, and I hated to discard the computer,
but it really wasn't suited for an upgrade to XP. So just for laughs
I wiped the hard drive clean and installed Ubuntu Linux, which
recognized and configured all hardware, configured for the existing
wireless network and "just worked" from the start.

I've since installed a ridiculous number of open source programs for
everything from web design and graphics to desktop publishing and
sound editing, and what I have now is a computer customized to my own
eclectic needs. I was fretting the other day about overtaxing the only
internal drive, and checked my available drive space. I was stunned to
find I'm using only 11.5 gigabytes on a 60-gig drive. I'd estimate
that similar software on a Microsoft system would weigh in at roughly
three times that.

Does anyone really think all the hardware we throw away is useless,
or that all software must be endlessly expandable? That's the same
thinking that gets us more laws instead of better laws. Maybe we've
just accepted an irrational premise from manufacturers who measure
their success in terms of production and sales, period. If so, we do
have the power to change that.

I think sustainable technology and sustainable design principles are
increasingly important, but I don't anticipate much support from
government or the business sector. The U.S. Dept. of Energy lost
funding for its sustainable design initiative in 2002:
http://www.pnl.gov/doesustainabledesign/index.html

With a multi-trillion-dollar budget deficit, I don't see that coming
back anytime soon. It would be a good niche for some forward-thinking
university research, as NC State has done for universal design:
http://www.design.ncsu.edu/cud/index.htm