David Platt devotes Chapters 3 & 4 of his book, *Why Software Sucks...And
What You Can Do About
It*<http://www.amazon.com/Why-Software-Sucks-What-About/dp/0321466756/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204999335&sr=1-1>,
to this very issue. His quote: "The No.1 threat of security isn't the packet
sniffer...it's the Post-it Note."
His proposed solution: single sign-on, managed through a reputable and
trusted third party, such as a credit card company or bank (similar to
Stephanie's solution).
Microsoft tried the same thing with Passport awhile back, but it flopped
because no one wanted their personal info being managed by Microsoft.

He also recommends this book, which he claims will scare you so bad you
won't be able to sleep for weeks afterwards. Sicko that I am, I can't wait
to check it out.
Kevin Mitnick, *The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of
Security*<http://www.amazon.com/Art-Deception-Controlling-Element-Security/dp/076454280X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204999227&sr=8-1>(Wiley,
2002).