No, not necessarily. Why would you state such a thing?
You give the user the option to accept recommended changes to the interface
based on their history. This way you could reveal or suggest things that they
might not know how those selections worked but you coud present them contextual
to a choice of something they used.

Even better might be to suggest something after you had tracked a related item
that they showed usage of so that the recommendation was a more solid one.

Back to the Amazon example, don't recommend something to me after I clicked on
it once, which could have even been a mistake, or someone could have been
browsing while I was logged in and looked at things I don't care about.
Recommended after you see that I look at books on lithography frequently, read
alot about World War I, and so on. I may not know what's out there -- and
therefore wouldn't want to have all of the control to declare a view -- but I
would like to be able to turn those suggestions and changes off and on.

They aren't quite the same thing or do not need to be. Do not limit the ideas
of what could be. This comes up frequently in application work that I do, and
so it could be applicable to any web/form environment.