There was a paper at the CHI2008 conference in Florence Italy that
addressed several aspects of adaptive UIs including predictability and
accuracy.  The reference is:

Gajos, K. Z., Everitt, K., Tan, D. S., Czerwinski, M., and Weld, D. S.
2008. Predictability and accuracy in adaptive user interfaces. In
Proceeding of the Twenty-Sixth Annual SIGCHI Conference on Human
Factors in Computing Systems (Florence, Italy, April 05 - 10, 2008).
CHI '08. ACM, New York, NY, 1271-1274.

The article focuses on adaptive toolbars and not on content, but it
does discuss some of the issues around predictability and accuracy of
the adaptive user interface.

Here is a portion of the abstract that summarizes some of the results.

"We present a study that examines the relative effects of
predictability and accuracy on the usability of adaptive UIs.
Our results show that increasing predictability and accuracy
led to strongly improved satisfaction. Increasing accuracy
also resulted in improved performance and higher utilization
of the adaptive interface. Contrary to our expectations,
improvement in accuracy had a stronger effect on performance,
utilization and some satisfaction ratings than the improvement
in predictability."

There was one other paper from Florence that deals with adaptive
interfaces for small screen devices.

Findlater, L. and McGrenere, J. (2008) Impact of Screen Size on
Performance, Awareness, and User Satisfaction With Adaptive Graphical
User Interfaces. Proc. CHI'08, ACM Press.

The ACM Digital Library is filled with research and theorie about
adpative user interfaces.

One of the issues that comes out of the adaptive interface literature
is the amount of data a system gathers before presenting the user with
a change to content or the user interface.  Clippy, the infamous style
of user assistance in Windows a decade or more ago, was a system that
was supposed to monitor user input and based on usage patterns (and a
Bayesian algorithm is memory serves me well) present the user with
tips or hints on how to do better.  The problem with clippy was that
it's algorithm threshold was not conservative enough -- it should have
waited longer and gathered more data before presenting it's mostly
useless suggestions.  There was an article in The Economist that
explained why Clippy was undone by a poorly tuned Bayesian algorithm.

Chauncey