Yes, error prevention is a primary goal, but I will play devil's
advocate here  and modify that to state, prevent errors whenever
possible, but if you can't prevent the error (because of system or
code limitations or something else that can't be changed immediately),
present a well-crafted message that explains how to prevent the error
the next time.  Error messages may not be the best teaching method,
but one of the goals of a good error or informational message is to
instruct and prevent the next error.  One of the interesting aspects
of our field is that the guidelines for effective error messages have
been around since the late 1980s but many systems still ignore the
basic pattern for good error messages.  One thought about error
messages is that if they are sufficient, a person may not have to call
internal or external support or search a knowledge base for a problem
so a good message can be cost-effective (though prevention is still
better).

Chauncey