Loren is right. CSS layout allows for a lot of options here. The right
side won't necessarily drop off first, if a "liquid layout" is used
specifying widths in percentages. Here's an example of liquid layout,
if you want one:
http://tinyurl.com/4p8nwl

Resize the window however you like, and the contents will flex so you
can adjust it to suit your own preferences.

This menu question is something I've had to ponder a lot, so I'll
try not to ramble on about it although (God help me) I could.

Browsers will parse HTML top-to-bottom, left-to-right, so one
advantage of a right-hand menu is that in virtually all cases it will
be read immediately after the main content -- assuming the ubiquitous
3-column layout with header and footer.

In sites that have a "skip-navigation" link that allows users to
jump over inaccessible dropdown or flyout menus, a secondary
navigation in the right column can become the primary navigation for
some people. It's especially convenient for people using screen
readers, because they will be delivered these navigation options
immediately after reading the main content. That sets them up to go
wherever they want to go next. This is a plus for their usability
without subtracting usability for most of us.

But as always, a lot depends on how, where and why you apply all this
thinking to the actual structure and the final implementation. The
considerations I've mentioned may be completely irrelevant to your
purposes, but I thought they were worth mentioning.