I think I get what you are saying, but I disagree on the idea of google
fulfilling all the needs of facebook. Sure, it can, if all your contacts
maintain a website and you fancy searching for their info, one at a
time, every time you are interested.

I'm not saying that facebook is "game changing," but it does allow for
passive keeping in touch, which is exactly what most people want out of
their non-central relationships. When it comes to second order friends,
we all generally want to keep abreast of their lives and be able to jump
in when something interests us, otherwise stay clear without any negatives.

Facebook allows the kind of active/passive dichotomy that is perfect for
people who don't have the energy to keep in constant active contact with
their networks. You don't have to take part, you don't have to be
engaged, but you can see what's going on, and if you like it or it
interests you, you can reach out.

As far as I know, facebook is almost the ideal scenario for this kind of
user goal, and I don't know if there are other technologies that meet
that need as effectively or efficiently. There are other sites that do
similar things, and they are all contenders, but currently facebook
seems the best suited this particular kind of interaction.

And I would argue that this need for passive contact is actually
something that many of us, maybe a majority of us, intrinsically have.
There are certainly other technologies that dance well around this idea
(twitter, general IM, your basic web log) but facebook's advantage is
bifurcated: it requires little effort to broadcast, and even less effort
to receive. My mother would probably never twitter, but facebook she
understands. My nephew, who's all lightning-fast thumbs and text skill,
still uses it too, because it's easier than sending a message to each of
his 187 friends.

I would therefore argue that calling something "obsolete" because other
choices are available isn't sufficient. I mean, the skateboard is
another choice for getting around a city, but does that make car's
obsolete? For true obsolescence to occur, there must be a better way to
accomplish the goal that the newly-obsolete technology addresses, and
this better way must make the original choice more costly (in a games
theory sense of utility) than the new technology in so far as satisfying
that user goal.

It's certainly possible to keep up with your network via google
searches, twitters, emails, IMs etc. Or, you could just log onto
Facebook and see what's going on with most of your contacts in one fell
swoop by scanning a single page. The energy required to satisfy the goal
of keeping up with my extended network is far lower when I use facebook
than when I use a constellation of other technologies. If and when that
changes, facebook may well become obsolete, but so far it seems to be
the better solution.

However, if we're just talking about "trends" and such, well, then sure,
Facebook may be moving towards obsolescence (if you believe it has
crested or jumped the shark). But still, that implies something better
coming along.

Just my thoughts.

-Damon