On Sep 21, 2008, at 9:09 AM, David Malouf wrote:

So no one has still convinced me that FB is obsolete.

I don't think Facebook is obsolete. (I don't even know what obsolete means in this context. Is eBay obsolete? Amazon?)

I do think that Facebook has yet to produce a meaningful business model. And this is a huge problem.

Sure, it gets a ton of traffic (http://tinyurl.com/3nqov6) and has high average stays (http://tinyurl.com/3nqov6). But few of those 41m people a month actually produce any revenue for the site.

Until the site has a mechanism to pay for the servers, the rent, and the almost 1000 employees, I really don't think they have long term prospects. Eventually, the investors will want the 10x returns on their investments. Where is that money coming from?

This is where it becomes relevant to IxD, in my mind. Every time Facebook has tried to change the design to open a space for revenue generating functionality, the users have borked. The users have made it clear they don't want ads in their feeds. They don't want Facebook using them as a sales reference ("Your buddy, Jared, just bought shoes at Amazon -- you should too!"). They want to stay connected, but not pay for that privilege.

(Twitter, btw, has the same issue.)

So, I don't think they are obsolete. But I don't think they'll make it beyond the next 10 years. Which makes them a passing fad, in my opinion.

Jared

Jared M. Spool
User Interface Engineering
510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
e: [EMAIL PROTECTED] p: +1 978 327 5561
http://uie.com  Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks