I think we're seeing it become more relevant as they've grown
decoupled from people being On Facebook and into other services.
I agree that apps and such are little blips in the overall picture,
but the amount of social news (and tbh, noise) I get via integrated
social networks is staggering - I can only imagine moreso for people
ten years younger than me.
I find statements of many of these things being obsolete to be hard to
grasp for me, as I think we have the benefit of living on the edge of
things and ~should~ be looking beyond.  Despite this, I think it's
forgetting where the rest of the online population, and the
yet-to-be-online population lives.

Scott

--
 * It's very important to know when you're in a pissing match. And
it's very important to get out of it as quickly as possible. - Randy