BTW, I was not talking about "getting to the table" ... I can see
what Scott and Christina are saying and I have no argument there.

What I was alluding to was entry > middle > senior (non-exec roles)
career path.

Graphic designers in advertising
Industrial designers in product design
Architects

All have these paths laid out before them very clearly.
There is a clear education path, clear entry hiring, and clear ladder
climbing with mentorship & or just management roles.

We ain't got that in the IxD, IA, and Usability worlds.

Some of it is that the title DOES change up the ladder at the
executive level, btw. Some of it is that so many of us at exec or
near exec have come from such convoluted paths that we don't want to
discriminate against people "like ourselves" and force formalizing
educational and path directions.

But the problem is still there.

My main point is forget the table, forget the exec ranks. Start from
the bottom.

-- dave