In this thinking, turn things around: while you might have a QA engineer or two who provide great input on design ideas, would you put QA in charge of the design process? Probably not: their expertise may sometimes approach or overlap those needed for design, but there will be holes, gaps, and so forth. Unless you are truly cross-training, you're going to end up with ultimately inferior results.

Which isn't to say that having QA involved in the design process, or Design in the QA process, isn't a great idea. It most certainly is.

Watch out as well for asking designers to do QA work on the items they designed. They can easily be way too picky and/or unable to look at the pieces they designed with a fresh eye, to see interactions and different angles. Better to use their designer eye to look at other aspects of the product.

-- Jim Drew
   Seattle, WA
   Software QA for 18 years