It is all about context. And in many, many contexts, alphabetical is random.

So, making it a blind "default" doesn't really work.

Jared

On Feb 4, 2009, at 5:33 PM, Mary Deaton wrote:

No, it doesn't sound different from shuffle, but when I open my music library list on line looking for things to put on my MP3 player, I want the list of artists or songs or albums in alphabetical order. In that context and at that time, alphabetical is a well-ordered, predictable arrangement that makes it easy for me to find Ryan Adams or Ziggy Marley. It is all about context and user goals, isn't it?