Two names that have greatly influenced my interaction work: Jakob Nielsen &
Edward Tufte.  They focus on very specific aspects of it (usability and
visual information presentation), and I don't always agree with everything
they advocate -- but what I have learned from them has greatly shaped my
work.

Other possibilities: Jony Ive (the iPhone design may match Coke bottles, if
not Falling Water ;-), Peter Morville, and Jesse James Garrett.

I do agree that the field needs to mature before people make these calls.
bests,
Alex O'Neal

--
The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The next best time is
now.