Data-driven design, though, is not entirely a bad thing, is it?

The whole web 2 approach of getting a basic webapp out there in beta, then
optimising and extending it based on user behaviour / feedback - that's data
driven post launch. Even running tests on paper prototypes, is, in some
respects, data driven, but qualitative and messy.

It seems there's a continuum from anal retentive "Every pixel must be
quantitatively tested for impact on our KPIs" to creative "use qual and
quant data as appropriate to steer our creative design process".

As Dave M said earier - "if you want to research and derive inspiration from
research, or research and live by the data, that is a choice, but I would
argue that one is design and the other is not."

Harry

--
http://www.90percentofeverything.com