Can anyone recommend a persuasive, unquestionably authoritative
presentation on why a formal design process, characterized by
progress toward increasing precision -- for hardware AND software --
makes good business sense?

I've got a VP that doesn't have the time or patience to read
anything too lengthy, who's an electronics engineer, struggling to
understand the needs of the burgeoning software department under
him.

Too much design jargon will be a turn-off.

Perhaps a presentation on slide-share? Something by the CEO, or Chief
Engineer of an electronics manufacturing Fortune 500 maybe?

I could write up and email citing references from my own personal
library (Buxton, Cooper, Goodwin, Saffer, Unger, etc.), but it would
take more time to do that than I have, and I think something more
visual and auditory would be most effective.

I got a LOT of good insight from another thread in which Scott Berkun
comments on pitching UCD (http://www.ixda.org/discuss.php?post=41562),
but this is a little different.

Help me Obi-wan Kenobi... you're my only hope.

Many thanks in advance!!