Hi Becky,

This is where the role of a Content Strategist can be of great value.
 Content Strategy is what you might call a hybrid of Information
architecture.  There are many new resources that explain what it is
and the methodology behind it, but as a starting point, I welcome you
to view my Slideshare presention, Role of A Content Strategist.   It
will provide you with an overview of the process and examples of
deliverables, as well as links to other websites and people who are
leaders in the field.

One of the main things a CS does is to research and identify the
targeted audience, relevant terms, and best way to oversee/govern
content.    Personally, when working as a CS I meet with stakeholders
and content developers to ensure that the site not only meets the
needs of users, but also addresses the main goals of the business by
providing clear calls to action and interesting and compelling
content.

Hopefully delving into the world of CS and sharing with your content
development team insightful blogs and presentations by people such as
Kristina Halvorsen, Jeffrey MacIntyre, and Karen McGrane will help.