David Farkas wrote:
With that in mind I ask what are we, the new generation of designers,
missing from the puzzle?

Speaking from my experience as an engineer working with designers, history of the domain. Nobody can be an expert on everything, obviously, but you should know something about the history of the domain where you want to work. If you sell yourself as a designer in the PDA/smartphone space, it would behoove you to know how Palm helped General Magic commit business suicide or why the EO had ears that also held all the ports.

Speaking as a recent student of design and thinking about my classmates, I think it's a love of a specific field (which probably gets you history of the field for free). The type nerds I met in design school spent their spare time reading about type, not playing sports. The guys (always guys :-) I knew who were into automotive design spent their free time working on cars, looking at cars, driving cars, etc.

One thing I'm personally interested in is how non-designers will build toasters the way non-designers started being able to make posters after the advent of desktop publishing. As a fan of "reflect on doing", I've decided to "do" and bought a cheap 3D FDM printer (<http://www.makerbot.com>) that I'm setting up and attempting to use as a normal household appliance.

--
J. E. 'jet' Townsend, IDSA
Designer, Fabricator, Hacker