Jared and others,

In case it wasn't clear, I believe argumentation about "whether
needs or technology came first" isn't a fruitful way forward.  More
importantly, we should examine what we mean by 'disruption'.

In my comments, I said:
"Ultimately, the measuring stick that we ought to use is the amount
of impact each (tech vs. design) brings to the innovation process.
... It is much easier to think of major disruptions coming from the
technology side. ...  To wit, that's why it we call it a
"disruption"! It disrupts current ways of doing things. There is an
element of surprise in the "disruption", suggesting that the need
might not have been there yet."