I'm trying to figure out a methodology that I can use to gain a
better understanding about a specific user group and how they use the
software that I'm going to be re-designing.

The user group is essentially a business person that is on the go,
often working remotely in different locations. In other words not in
the office. Sometimes they may be in the same off site location for
more then a day, some times it could be that they're in multiple
locations in a single day.

It seems to me that following them around throughout their day/week
is out of the question, so what can I do to learn about their needs
and goals and what not?

Thanks!