Samantha LeVan wrote:
What I have seen work well is having a path that splits after the
senior level, which works well for designers, researchers, or
generalists:

For example:
-UX Designer I, II, & III
-Sr. UX Designer
-Principal Designer (team lead, knowledge expert) or UX
Manager/Director (people management, budget, liason with execs)

This is similar to the model we've been using in software engineering since at least the mid-90s. It's nice in that it gives people a chance to progress in their career (and earn more money/stock/status) without giving up their trade and becoming a manager.

Member of Technical Staff 1:  0-3 years experience
MTS 2: 2-6 years experience
MTS 3: 3-10 years experience
Manager or MTS 4: 5+ years experience
Manager/Director or Architect: MTS4 + technical leadership skills
Director or Principal: Architect + innovation + problem finding/solving

--
J. E. 'jet' Townsend, IDSA
Design, Fabrication, Hacking